Thursday, March 01, 2007

With Great Shirts, Come Great Responsibility

So, the question was posed to me today, what are the moral obligations of a normal man walking around the DMV is a "Superman" outfit. I mean, the shirt could mean "I really like Superman," or it could also mean, "I support and will try to withhold the moral world outlook that Superman represents."

If anyone has seen the movie "Trekkies," there is an interview with a woman who was on the jury of a high-press-coverage case (the Clinton Whitewater trial?) and wore her Starfleet Uniform to the jury every day. She explained that she subscribes to the world view of the Star Trek universe, and wearing her uniform is a constant reminder of the ideals she wants to uphold.

Anyway, the question was posed in the context of this news report of an event that happened in Florida where a woman plows into the DMV on the way to her driving test. Gory footage is included (if you're in to that), but more importantly from my perspective is this paragraph from the article:

The camera shows people rushing up to the woman, Therese Smith of Boca Raton, Fla., who was still buckled in with her seat belt. Inexplicably, a man in a Superman costume could be seen walking around the car, but he did not stop to help the driver or any of the victims.


And, sure enough, if you can tear your eyes away from the car crash for a second, there is clearly a man in a Superman t-shirt milling about. So, is it inexplicable that a man would be wearing a Superman shirt? That's unlikely. Or is it inexplicable that a man wearing a Superman shirt would not immediately leap into the fray to rescue the 80 year old driver or the injured bystanders in the five second after the crash?

What do you think? If you are wearing an outfit that references your favorite Superhero, will you feel a greater moral obligation to fight crime and rescue innocent bystanders?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger zc said...

Hmm. An interesting thought.

Sadly, I have no opinion on it, for the only DC shirt I have is a Bizarro shirt, which means I would be obligated to light the car on fire, morally speaking.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Amy Reads said...

Hi Ragtime,
Hm. I've a JLA shirt myself, along with a DC Ladies Night (all the main women from the 80s), and a Wonder Woman shirt. I think I would have an obligation to help an 80-year-old woman if I were wearing one of those shirts. It's what Wonder Woman would do.
Also, I think I'd probably try to help if I were wearing, say, my pirate shirt. Just for equal opportunity purposes.
Ciao,
Amy

5:18 AM  
Blogger Ragtime said...

Hi ZC.

That you for not using your evil shirt for evil irresponsibility.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Ragtime said...

Hi Amy,

Yes the views I've gotten are pretty unanimous. Wearing a superhero shirt DOES obligate you to act like a superhero. Unless it's Halloween.

Keep that in mind the next time you're dressing up.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Swinebread said...

That’s why I wear a Crime Syndicate shirt…

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOWEVER: If you're wearing a Punisher shirt, are you morally obligated to kill jaywalkers?

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home