Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Anyone want to talk about House of Mystery #1?

Specifically "The Hollows" -- Hungry Sally's 4-page Story-Within-The-Story.

I guess people usually write blog posts giving a review or telling people their opinions. I don't know what my opinion is, though, so I am asking for suggestions:

Grotesquely and offensively obscene?

Grotesquely fascinating?

Social commentary?

Shock horror?

A feminist parable satirizing women's willful blindness and acceptance of their second-class status in marriage?

An anti-feminist rant abusing women for no apparent purpose?

Something else? I'm open to suggestions that I completely missed the point by any well meaning entomologists in the audience . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

i just think it was disturbing and gross. i didnt see a parable but i could barely read it once. the visuals were very shocking.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Scipio said...

"Grotesquely fascinating?"
This at least.

"A feminist parable satirizing women's willful blindness and acceptance of their second-class status in marriage?"

Like most good works of this genre, it can be a parable if you want it to be.

I took the message more generically:

if you live too much for and through others, you remain a hollow person incapable of fulfillment.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Ragtime said...

Thanks for the insights, Stephen and Scipio.

Still not sure what to think about it, but I'll be buying #2, so I guess they did their job.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

i think scipio has the right idea

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home